Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer

I had a penile implant made by Mentor called the Alpha 1 in

I had a penile implant made by Mentor called the Alpha 1 in 1997. Just 3 months after the surgery it developed a bulge in the left cylinder, and dealt with it until 2001 when it got to the point of causing me pain. Another doctor then decided to change out both cylinders and the pump. Then after about 3 months the bluge returned in the same place. I then saught legal advice and was tolded that they were potected under bankruptcy. Then in 2007 the implant lossed all 110 cc of the saline hydraulic, causing me a third surgery to completely remove and replaced the whole prosthetic with an upgrade version called Titan, and so far so good. My question is it took three surgeries to finally get a good one. Mentor covered the implants and my insurence covered the surgeries, but left me with the out of pocket cost and the recovering of three surgeries. I was woundering if I had a case with Mentor on the last faulty implant? Thanks! Jim
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 years ago.

Welcome. My name is Maverick. I very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from the information or assistance that I provide.

It is my goal to provide to you
excellent service. Before accepting any
money from you, I want to make sure you are 100% satisfied with my answer. So, here are some tips for getting the most
for your money:

1. Please know that since we are not communicating face to face or over the telephone, there may be a communication gap between us. I will not
necessarily know what you may be thinking unless you take time to spell it out
for me. Thus, if you need more clarification or follow up information after I provide an answer, please feel free to write back as many times as needed as there is no extra charge.

2. Please do not click "ACCEPT" until you are
100% satisfied. At some point you may be
asked to rate my service. If you are not able to give me 5 out of 5 stars, please continue to let me know what your additional expectations may be so that I can try to earn the highest rating possible by meeting your needs.

3. If, at some point,
I am not able to meet your expectations or you feel that I am not quite the
right expert for your specific question, just ask me to opt out of the question
and I will be happy to release it to another expert so that he/she may take a
shot at it.

4. Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may
have anticipated. Please understand that
this is not the attorney's fault. We are
assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

5. Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my
answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the
meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left
hand corner of the screen.

6. This
information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your
attorney. Consult a local attorney for
legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to
further assist you at

7. If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be
greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a
future question by starting your new question with "This question is for

In SC products liability actions must be brought within three years after the plaintiff suffers the injury. So if you had the 2nd bad implant put in in 2001 and it went bad with in three months, the law will likely deem your three year time period to run from the time you first discovered that the 2nd implant was faulty.

I am assuming that you are not complaining about the doctor's service and just about the defective implant. Let me know if this answers your question. If not just write back. Thanks.