Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  13+ years experience in litigation and business law;

Is it legal for a group home to require drug testing on one

Customer Question

Is it legal for a group home to require drug testing on one of its residents if it suspects a resident may be using drugs? The group home is funded by a private agency, but does receive HIPPA grants.

Thank you for your time.
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. My name is Maverick. I very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from the information or assistance that I provide. It is my goal to provide to you excellent service. Before accepting any money from you, I want to make sure you are 100% satisfied with my answer. So, here are some tips for getting the most for your money:

1. Please know that since we are not communicating face to face or over the
telephone, there may be a communication gap between us. I will not necessarily
know what you may be thinking unless you take time to spell it out for me.
Thus, if you need more clarification or follow up information after I provide
an answer,please feel free to write back as many times as needed as there is no
extra charge.

2. Please do not click "ACCEPT" until you are 100%
satisfied. At some point you may be asked to rate my service. If you are not
able to give me 5 out of 5 stars, please continue to let me know what your
additional expectations may be so that I can try to earn the highest rating
possible by meeting your needs.

3. If, at some point, I am not able to meet
your expectations or you feel that I am not quite the right expert for your
specific question, just ask me to opt out of the question and I will be happy to release it to another expert so that he/she may take a
shot at it.

4. Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may
have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We
are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

5. Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you.

6. This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with
your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be
able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at

7. If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly
appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future
question by starting your new question with "This question is for

Private agencies are permitted to implement drug testing programs with out the same due process procedures that are required of governmental agencies. So even if this is considered to be a governmental agency, it is still permitted to implement drug testing so long as due process procedures are followed and such procedures are not inherently discriminatory based on race, gender, religion, sex or national origin.

Maverick, Attorney
Experience: 13+ years experience in litigation and business law;
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 years ago.
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, it provided the level of information that was necessary for me to complete my work. Thank you again.