TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

Re;transferred assets
Can the $10,000 drawn from my fathers accounts to partially cover the zillion trips I made from my home in Georgia to his home in Michigan to assist with his care be an accepted removal. Or must they be returned before I apply for Me
dicaid assistance for him?

Thank you for your question. Your question focuses on whether or not a transfer of money to you from your father's account to cover travel expenses you incurred while taking care of him will affect his medicaid eligibility in Michigan.

Unfortunately, this transfer of assets would violate the Medicaid statutes and your father would likely be penalized for it, or it may disqualify him altogether. This is the case because there was no contractual obligation on his part to pay for your travel expenses.

Local elder law attorneys in Michigan my have special insight or know a trick on how this transfer could be done without violating the rules. However, from a strict legal question perspective, the transfer is improper and violates the eligibility rules.

Please let me know if you need further information.

Best Regards,
Zachary D. Norris
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you very much for your timely answer to my inquiry. If I simply reimburse the $10,000 from my personal accounts to my fathers accounts -treating the entire transaction as a short term loan from him to me- will the transaction be of no further consequence if in the future I need to apply for Medicaid for him?
Have you already incurred the travel expenses or is the loan a future proposal?