Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Experience:  General practice experience in many areas of law

Yesterday my dog was attacked on the sidewalk by another dog

Yesterday my dog was attacked on the sidewalk by another dog that broke through a closed door of a house. I had to take my dog to the vet. We live in Alabama. Does this incident fall under the Vicious Animal Law?

Thank you for your question.

I'm so sorry for your situation. The law regarding vicious animals (Code of Alabama 3-1-3-) involves injuries to persons, not pets. Here is a link to the sections dealing with dog liability:

Notwithstanding that, the owner of the dog can still be held liable civilly for the injuries to your pet, such as the veterinary bills. If the owner refuses to compensate you, you may wish to sue in small claims court for damages.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.