Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

I own a bank account. I add Mrs Ng to my account with full

I own a bank account. I add Mrs Ng to my account with full privilege. She never uses the account. She got a writ of execution against her. The bank empties my account (hold until Jun 27,2012)Can I fight?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

I'm sorry to have to tell you this but, unfortunately, no, you would not have any recourse against the person who took the money. The law presumes that all money in a joint bank account is owned by all signers, and there is no way to overcome that presumption. The only exception is if the money in the account was from something like Social Security, which is exempt from being attached.

What you can do is file suit against the other person for reimbursement, under the idea that it's not considered fair for you to have to pay her debts. You should also close the account and open a new account in your name only, to avoid being held liable for any other debts she may have.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Good luck.