TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

I received an Oil and Gas Lease from a business representing

Customer Question

I received an Oil and Gas Lease from a business representing American Minerals Inc. I have been told by them that I own 6.56 acres of mineral rights and they will send me $1656. They say their company is Anevay Resources in Oklahoma City and that the drilling company is Sundance Energy. How can I verify that this is a legitimate transaction? The forms are very generic and they are requesting a w-9 with my SSN on it.
Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.

Zachary D. Norris :

Zachary D. Norris :

I'd be happy to help you with your question.

Zachary D. Norris :

Are you there?

Zachary D. Norris :

I'm going to switch to the Q&A format to answer you question. Please standby

Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.
In order to verify whether this is a legitimate request or not, you should contact the Oklahoma Corporation Commission Oil and Gas Division to check and see if the company is legitimate. You can find their contact information at http://www.occeweb.com/og/oghome.htm

I caution you on entering into a lease for the first amount offered. These amounts are negotiable, and you need to consider that oil and gas exploration on your property grants a right to the company to build dirt roads and drill on your property for long periods of time. You also might consider the fact that if you own the mineral rights, you could stand to make a substantial amount of money from the royalties. If you do not own the mineral rights and are only the surface owner, then you should push for a higher payment to compensate you for the use, and probable injury, to your land, and the permanent presence of any oil and gas production equipment on your land if oil or gas is discovered.

Here's some basic information worth reading: http://www.mineralweb.com/owners-guide/oil-and-gas-basics-for-mineral-owners/

You should also consider whether it is worth the cost to hire a local attorney to take a look at the offer (once you've established its legitimate) and do the negotiating for you, especially if you actually own the mineral rights.

Please let me know if you need any clarification.

Best Regards,
Zachary D. Norris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I only have the mineral rights not the surface land. I need to finish this tomorrow. How do I re-connect with you?
Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.

I'd be happy to assist you tomorrow. I should be on line again in the afternoon and in the evening. You can simply send a message to me with follow up questions and I will respond when I get on line.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Best Regards,
Zachary D. Norris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
6/13/12 7:45a

Hi Zach,
To keep you up to date, I have written an inquiry on the occe website asking about the legitimacy of this business. I will report back to you later in the day.
Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.

They may take a while to get back to you. Your question string will remain accessible to you on the site for a while. I'll look to hear back from you.

Best Regards,
Zachary D. Norris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Zach,
The OCCE people couldn't tell me very much, but gave me contact info on Sundance Energy.
Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.
OK. Anevay Resources is representing American Minerals, Inc. and is asking for a lease of your mineral rights to a property so that Sundance Energy can commence drilling. You need to know if Anevey Resources is a legitimate company. Anevay Resources is acting as what is in the industry called a "landman", which I'm sure youre aware of. They are agents of the project operator who are going out to gather the mineral right leases in order for the overall energy companies to begin drilling and production.

The following is the information from the Secretary of State regarding Anevay Resources:

ANEVAY RESOURCES LLP

Details
Filing Number: (NNN) NNN-NNNN
Name Type:
Legal Name
Status:
In Existence
Corp type:
Domestic Limited Liability Partnership
Jurisdiction:
Oklahoma
Formation Date:
7 Feb 2012

Registered Agent Information
Name:
JOHN OWEN COCKERELL Jr
Effective:
7 Feb 2012
Address:
1209 N.W. 41ST ST.
City, State , ZipCode:
OKLAHOMA CITY OK 73118

They are a legitimate land brokerage firm that specializes in oil and gas leases.

The following is the Secretary of State's information on the American Minerals, Inc.:

AMERICA MINERALS, INC.

Details
Filing Number: (NNN) NNN-NNNN
Name Type:
Legal Name
Status:
In Existence
Corp type:
Domestic For Profit Business Corporation
Jurisdiction:
Oklahoma
Formation Date:
28 Sep 2011

Registered Agent Information
Name:
MARCUS SHUMATE
Effective:
28 Sep 2011
Address: XXXXX
City, State , ZipCode:
EDMOND OK 73013

My research indicates that this company is part of a larger oil and gas exploration group which is in the active business of exploring and producing oil and gas in Oklahoma.

So, the companies seeking the lease from you check out as legitimate. I would still be hesitant to sign an oil and gas lease without letting a local attorney put his hands on the document and looking it over to make sure your interests are completely covered. You don't want to give away a royalty interest that could be extremely lucrative if they discover a large amount of oil and gas on the property.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,
Zachary D. Norris
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you able to recommend an attorney? My alternative is to throw a dart and pick one out of the yellow pages. I would like to select one in Okla. to review the lease.
Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone in Oklahoma that I could recommend. That being said, you need to of course pick someone that is specialized.

A google search reveals these firms:
http://www.mahaffeygorelaw.com/
http://www.leachsullivan.com/Practice-Area-Overview/Oil-and-Gas-Law.shtml

Your state's bar association may have some recommendations as to "oil and gas" attorneys. Additionally, some local banks near your minerals may be involved in managing mineral properties, or own some. They would often know of a good oil and gas attorney, or may even have one on staff if they have a trust department dealing with oil and gas.

The National Association of Royalty Owners in Tulsa OK may have some suggestions for you. In addition they have a message board on the website (www.naro-us.org) where you can simply ask people if they know of a good one. There are many states represented on NARO'S message board. I believe you can read the board for free, but must pay a small yearly fee to post. There are many experts on these boards however, and even some attorneys, so it may be a worthwhile investment of your 25 bucks or so.

Ask an attorney how many leases he has done in the past year. One or two would be bad, one hundred would be pretty good in a hot area. Ask if the attorney is a member of the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation. If so, more the better. You might also contact that organization in Westminster CO (or www.rmmlf.org) and ask THEM for a recommendation to one of their members. They are a smart group of people and members are generally well-versed in oil and gas law.

Finally, make sure to look through the mineral rights basics website that I provided you earlier. This will help you in talking to the attorney you end up picking. Remember also, interview several attorneys, don't just go with the first one you talk to.

thanks,
Zachary D. Norris