TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

What does it mean on the court docket when it says INITIAL

Customer Question

What does it mean on the court docket when it says INITIAL APPEARANCE/CJS
more so what does the CJS stand for?
Expert:  TexLaw replied 4 years ago.
Hi initial appearances is the first appearance in front of the judge after a defendant has been arrested. This is where the charges are read and the bail is set.

CJS is Utah's criminal justice services. See: http://criminaljustice.slco.org/

Best Regards,
Zachary D. Norris
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So why would a co-defendants docket say ARRAIGNMENT/STATE/PTS/NTA instead of Initial Appearance/CJS when it's their first appearance as well on a different day?

Expert:  TexLaw replied 4 years ago.
Just because they are a co-defendant does not mean they are being charged in the same way. The state has apparently taken a harder stance on the co-defendant and may be opposing the grant of bail to the co-defendant.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So why would a co-defendants docket say Arraignment/State/PTS/NTA instead of Initial Appearance/CJS when it's their first appearance as well on a different day?
Expert:  TexLaw replied 4 years ago.
You reposted your question, so I'm guessing you didn't see my last response, which follows:

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok sorry just one last question do you know what the codes on his mean Arraignment/State/PTS/NTA? State/PTS/TNA and we are not in jail we are out on pre trial release.
Expert:  TexLaw replied 4 years ago.
Arraignment is where you enter your plea of guilty or not guilty or no contest.

PTS is pre trial services

I'm not sure what NTA or TNA means. However, what's coming up for both of you is that you will have to enter a plea, may have to pay bail, and will be given court dates for your trial. If you enter a guilty plea, the court may go ahead and set your punishment at that point.

If you are going to attempt a plea bargain, you need to approach the prosecuting attorney to see if they are interested in a deal before this hearing.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you know any good lawyers in salt lake city? Is it possible to get a good lawyer that you can pay payments to? I cant afford to pay a lot up front and am unsure how it works. I don't qualify for public defender.
Expert:  TexLaw replied 4 years ago.

Sorry, I don't know any lawyers in SLC to refer you to. However, most criminal defense lawyers will take payments. You just need to call around.

Good luck,
Zachary D. Norris