AttorneyTom, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney

I need to switch lawyers, my lawyer is now not returning my

I need to switch lawyers, my lawyer is now not returning my calls, I do not owe her any money, I filed for divorce 3 years ago and am still not divorced. What should I do if she will not return my call or give me her email address?
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 4 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer. I am Thoreau and I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you asked your question.
I'm sorry to hear about the situation. It's very frustrating when a lawyer won't return calls, and it's certainly unprofessional. To change attorneys, all that's generally necessary is to inform the current attorney of that desire and she should withdraw. Some clients like to provide that notification in writing, though it's not necessary. That said, you may wish to sit down with your attorney in person to discuss the matter. Sometimes, there are miscommunications that interfere with the attorney-client relationship and an in-person discussion can be very fruitful. It's not required, but it can be a good idea, depending on the specifics of the situation. That said, you're entitled to fire your attorney at any time for any reason.
I'm very sorry that you're having to go through that. If you believe that your attorney has chosen not to return your calls, you can also file a complaint with the bar, as the attorney's conduct may be unethical. If it's harmed your case or drawn it out, you could also sue the attorney for malpractice.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your email. Since my lawyer will not communicate with me I think I should put this in writing and send it to her. I need my file, what can I say to her in order to get my file from her so I can give it to my new lawyer?

I'm pleased that I can provide some valuable information.
She should provide your file to you upon your request. A client is generally entitled to his or her file upon switching attorneys and your attorney can either provide it to you so that you can provide it to your new attorney or to your new attorney directly, if you would prefer.