AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
18048122

Do you need to demand that the defendant withdraw the defamatory

Do you need to demand that the defendant withdraw the defamatory statements they have made before filing a defamation suit?
Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer. I am Thoreau and I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you asked your question.
I'm sorry to hear about the defamation situation. That's very difficult to go through. It's not required to demand a retraction, but it can be wise because it can limit the extent of the damages. The problem with defamation is that, while you can seek monetary compensation for the damages, it's hard to really compensate someone for that type of damage. In other words, once the bell rings, the sound is always out there. That's why retraction can be beneficial. However, to answer your question, it is not required to demand retraction prior to filing a lawsuit.