D. WINOGO ESQ., Attorney
Experience:  10+years of experience in all matters of civil litigation and Hearing Officer/Arbitrator

the assoc that live in refuses to put wheel chair ramps I am

Customer Question

the assoc that live in refuses to put wheel chair ramps I am a disiabed vet of viet I asked and was told that if I forced them to put in a ramp to the mail box they would move them back out on the street I am in awheelchair all of my rights are violated in this assoc
Expert:  D. WINOGO ESQ. replied 4 years ago.
You should send the association a letter stating that if they will not allow you to pay for the installation of a wheelchair ramp, then you will file a lawsuit against them for violation of the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) and the FHA (Fair Housing Act). However, the association can require you to pay for the ramp out of your own pocket.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
1 am 78 and refuse to pay for the rampI have been beaten and put in thehospital what I need is a good lawyer
Unfortunately, since the association is a private organization and not public accommodations, then according to federal law (Fair Housing Act), then the association has to let you have the ramp put in, but they do not have to pay for it. There is nothing to be accomplished by hiring an attorney.

You should write a letter demanding that the association install the ramp as per your rights under federal law (ADA and FHA). Put the ball i their court as to how to respond. If they flatly refuse altogether even if you offer to pay for it, then you can file a discrimination lawsuit against them.
I trust that you have received the answer to your legal question. If you need any more help, let me know!