Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

What should one do if one finds out an energy broker or supplier

What should one do if one finds out an energy broker or supplier of energy is not licensed to broker or supply energy in a particular State or District?
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. There might be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I am typing out my answer, or taking a quick break. Please remember that this is general information only, not legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed.

This depends on what jurisdiction it is. If you can tell me where this is, I can help to direct you to the proper authority in the matter.

This not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dear Ely, the jurisdiction is the District of Columbia.
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
I apologies for any wait time in response - I was away most of Saturday. I am working on your question now.
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
Thank you.

The government entity that is in charge of licensing such individuals is the DC Public Service Commission... can alert them to any unlicensed activity via this contact information:

DC Public Service Commission XXXXX N.W. Suite 200
West Tower
Washington, DC 20005

Email: websupport(at)

...or file an online report here:

I hope this finds you well. Please remember – I do not get credit for my time with you unless the answer is rated/concluded by you (while no mandatory, a bonus is always appreciated); I work very hard to formulate an informative answer for you – please reciprocate my good faith. If you need more information, simply hit reply so we can chat until you are satisfied. You may always come back to this thread for follow ups on this topic free of charge.