Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

Would it be legal for someone who does not live with me to

Would it be legal for someone who does not live with me to place video/audio recording equipment in my home without my knowledge?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Well, there are a few different issues here. First, if they don't have permission to be in your home, that's trespassing, and that's illegal. Second, if they place video recording equipment in an area where you have a reasonable expectation of privacy, that's voyeurism, which is also illegal. It's also considered an invasion of privacy (whether they live in your home or not).

So, the short answer is, no, it's not legal for someone to place surveillance equipment in your home without your knowledge and permission, whether they live there or not. You have a right to privacy in your own home.