Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

a bout a month ago i received a phone call from some legal

a bout a month ago i received a phone call from some legal attorney in florida he said i was a suspect in a case asked him what case he replied a check for 394.00 was written in 2011 i told him no checks were written only my bills he said he wasnt collections but if i didnt take care of this matter i would have to pay court cost attorney fees up to 3,000.00 i explained to him i had no money was in hospital and out of work i could only pay 50.00 a month if i was at fault for anything i told him i hadnt received and legal notice in the mail or otherwise i told him i would have to call my attorney he said to get my attorney to call and then we could come down and pay 200.00 he threatened to call my job and tell everybody what i did i explained if he ever called my job again i would sue for harassment he told me have my attorney call him i replied send me the paperwork and i would get in touch with him i havent heard anything for a month until yesterday om may 31 he left a nasty message on my phone icant answer the phone at work its not allowed before i could call him back he called my job left a message with my manager that if i didnt call him back in a half hour he would call again so my boss let me call him theres no name to this company or i cant understand his engllish he told me it was a time sensitive matter he needed my attorney to call him for they wanted info from my lawyer i told himto send me the paperwork and i wasnt giving him anymore paperwork he said good luck and god bless i tried to find out what this was all about i told him i am in extreme medical debt and was willing to go to court and show all my bills and what i pay he said that wasnt good enough when you call i always get some other guy to talk too something is very wrong here i never wrote sny illegal checks they have my ss no my phone number my work number why dont i get some legal papers in the mail what can i do
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Good morning. This is an ongoing scam to intimidate people into paying money that is not owed. It is illegal. A recipient of such contact from a collection agency would
want to send them a certified, return receipt requested letter explaining the
recipient does not owe this debt and demand they immediately cease and desist
all further efforts to contact the recipient and/or anyone else to collect this
debt. The recipient would inform them
that any efforts to do otherwise will constitute a violation of the Fair Debt
Collection Practices Act and that each
and every violation would be reported to the Federal Trade Commission. Each
violation carries at least a $1,000 fine, so this should be the end of the
problem.

I hope this has given you
information that has been helpful to you. If the information seems more general
than specific, please be aware that we are only allowed to provide information
and not specific advice.
If you have a follow-up question, please
remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my
answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.
If you need additional clarification on this question, please do not
hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you
further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you. Please be aware that
the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general
information. All states have intricacies in their laws and
any information given is simply information only and specifically is not
intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does
not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has
been helpful to you.

Richard, Attorney
Experience: Attorney with 29 years of experience.