MShore
MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
17924466

I was recently married about one year ago and today the bank

I was recently married about one year ago and today the bank garnished my entire bank accout. Can a debt collector garnish all the money in my account even if my husbands check doesnt go into that account and the debt was created before we were married?
Expert:  MShore replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Is this a joint account that was garnished?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, unfortunately I added him about a year ago.

Expert:  MShore replied 4 years ago.
Thank you regrettably any account which he is listed on can be the subject of execution of the judgment, as such, your account is subject to levy. Please let me know if you need additional guidance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So if I remove him from my account can they still continue to do something like this again? Secondly, we are finally at a financial state where we can pay some of these debt collections off, what is the best way of getting all these debts together and having one monthly payment? How do you know which debt consolidator to trust? ( We are fairly young and I have no Idea what to do?)
Expert:  MShore replied 4 years ago.
No, if he is not on the account it is no longer considered his asset.

Debt consolidation became very popular with the increase of persons in financial need, rather than using a debt consolidation company, you should consider contacting the creditors directly to negotiate a pay off/repayment plan. Please let me know if you need additional guidance.