Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

I am a registered Professional Land Surveyor in the state of

I am a registered Professional Land Surveyor in the state of Washington. I have applied for more than twenty employment opportunities since my dismisal 14 months ago. I have not received any offers to date. My previous employer let me go 4 months into my probation. They wrote on my federal SF-50 form that I was unable to read or write legal desription for real property. I appealled to the human resource department that the reasons for dismissal were un-true. They returned that my reason were trivial and provided me with a legal packet regarding discriminatory issues. Since I spent 3 years as an embedded contract surveyor, I completed over 150 projects - all requiring my interpretation of right of way plans and legal descriptions. I also authored over 20 legal descriptions that were approved by my accuser(s) and are on record with that federal agency. I also advised other land surveyors in direction their work for completion of records of surveys. I also passed the legal description portion of the state exam... It almost seems apparent that this issue is making it difficult for me to secure any land survey position that I apply for - is beside the point. This SF-50 record is defami\atory and untrue and is damaging my professional career and advancement. Please advise me on whether I should pursue further action. I have many emails from co-employees and survey leads that support my reputation as a surveyor within that agency. I also have many examples of my survey conduct as a professional.
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Expert:  Legalease replied 4 years ago.

Hello there

These reasons are not trivial for a surveyor looking for a job and the person who said that to you is a jerk. My suggestion is that you find an employment lawyer in the area that you live in and pursue this against them as a defamation of character claim because you can prove that the termination reason they are stating in your records and most likely stating to future prospective employers are lies and slanderous in nature. The only problem I see here is that most employment lawyers will not work on a pro bono or contingency fee basis (if they win they get paid) -- and you would have to come up with a retainer of a few thousand dollars in order for an attorney to proceed with any action on your behalf. There is a distinct possibility that once you get an attorney involved and writing to them on your behalf regarding these matters that they may be willling to change the reasons in your file and come to an agreement on what they can and cannot say to a prospective employer about you if one happens to call them. A letter or two and a few telephone calls may cost you around $1500 with a lawyer. Before you pay anyone, though, see if you can get some assistance through any pro bono legal groups in your area -- you may be able to at least get a lawyer through them for a reduced price rather than a full fee.

--MARY

Legalease, Lawyer
Experience: 15 years exp all aspects of general law