AttorneyTom, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney

A list of false statements have been made to the super of the

A list of false statements have been made to the super of the school that my wife works for and coaches for. I feel that her reputation has been harmed. They wrote these down and she has been brought in to meet with the athletic director. As of now they remain anonymous but we have a good idea who it is. She has been a coach there for ten years division one pitcher prior to that at coaches a travel team in the summer, as well as gives pitching lessons, all of which will suffer from these fale statements. Do we have any recourse?
Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question. I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you submitted your question.
If someone made false statements about your wife, that person may be liable for defamation. To win a defamation claim, it must be shown that the defendant made untrue statements of fact to a third party about your wife that caused damages to your wife. Slander is spoken defamation while libel is written defamation. Anyone who negligently repeats defamatory statements may also incur such liability. Damages to her reputation or her ability to earn a living can be sufficient to support recovery.