Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
18539850

Hello I live in Texas and I am being sued in small claims court

Customer Question

Hello I live in Texas and I am being sued in small claims court for an amount of 1867.00 for defaulting on a loan. What are my best options. I do accept the loan,but can I settle out of court. I got served today.
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.

Yes, you can absolutely settle out of court. To do so, you might consider calling the attorney that filed the lawsuit on behalf of the creditor to let him know you are interested in settling.

.

Before doing so, you might think about what offers you might make. As a general rule, keep in mind that the less you want to pay, the more quickly you should be willing to make the payments. For example, if you were to offer $600, you might offer to pay immediately while if you offered to pay the entire amount, you could likely get as much as a year or so to get it paid off.

.

As a note, you might also request that any negotiated settlement include that there NOT be a judgment put in place against you, this will help protect your credit.

.

Please let me know if you need clarification on anything.

.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!
.

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.