Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I am a member of a state organization that has by laws. I am

Customer Question

I am a member of a state organization that has by laws. I am concern about the commander continually violating the by laws and doing what she wants. She does not consult the State executive committee before making public decisions. The executive committee is the governing body in the organization.

By her continually disobeying our rule and introducing her personal opinion in place of established rules. I think this leave the state open for liability.

Advise on how to handle this situation.
Expert:  TexLaw replied 4 years ago.
The answer to your question depends on the authority your state organization has over the commander. To delve into this issue, I need to know more details.

1. What state is it in?

2. What is the Organization?

3. Is the commander employed by the organization or by a related state entity? If a state entity, what is the entity?

4. Do the bylaws have any sort of enforcement mechanism stated in them?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

-Zachary D. Norris
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the state is Virginia. We are a disabled veterans group of volunteers, however, we do hold annual elections and the commander expesences are provided by state department. Also, it is required that we are bonded.

we have conduct rules that apply to us on both state and national levels.

I have reviewed these issues with the body and they just say she's the commander.

The voting body seems reluctant to act but complain when not in session.

also, is there such a thing as presadence

Expert:  TexLaw replied 4 years ago.
If I understand you correctly, the Department of State of Virgnia is paying the commander?

The issue that I'm trying to get to is whether you have recourse to report to the governor or the attorney general and whether your organization is governed by a statute.

I need to know this information before I can answer your question about whether the state is potentially liable for the actions of the commander.

In regard to your question regarding precedence, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Precedence as related to what?