Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.

My ex husband has/ continues to unreasonably withold approval

My ex husband has/ continues to unreasonably withold approval of my vacation request plans for my me and my son. He has refused to approve or deny approval for more than 3 months time after I have sent 7+ requests specifically requesting such approval- dates, locations and plans.
QUESTION: can I file a civil claim for damages based on his unreasonableness.
Thank you
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 2 years ago.

Brandon M. :

Hello there.

Customer:

Hello

Brandon M. :

Hello. Thank you for your question.

Brandon M. :

Do you have a custody order in effect at this time?

Customer:

I have had a temporary custody order in place for my son for over 1.5 years- because father has sole custody of other son. We used to split 50/50....but then Temp Custody with every other weekend visitation rights were granted and stand in place now.

Brandon M. :

Does the custody order require you to have the other parent's permission to vacation with your son?

Customer:

it does via the decree in place from the divorce

Brandon M. :

You asked about filing a civil claim for damages. What damages have you suffered?

Customer:

delayed response has caused airfares to rise considerably, failure to take my son on vacation is disappointing, he is using his powers unreasonably to exercise his decision making, he has placed me on-hold for three-months from making plans

Brandon M. :

Have you asked for a modification to the custody order to address these issues?

Customer:

no- because the two boys (sons) are Court Ordered to not be in the presence of one another- because of an offense.

But father is upset- because he does not agree with court orders- now he is unreasonable witholding various approvals. I would like to file a civil claim for financial damages- the longer I wait - the more expensive air tickets cost.

Brandon M. :

Ok, ready for some bad news?

Customer:

no...I already got your answer. Thank you. XXXXX understand.

Customer:
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience: Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.