How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Legal Your Own Question
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John Legal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We were advised to get a family trust for our mothers home.

Resolved Question:

We were advised to get a family trust for our mothers home. She has health problems that may require her in need for assistance for different programs later, including assistant living. This being the last resort, if need be, she wants to be able to qualify but protect her home from the county or state.
Is this something we can do quickly and would this indeed protect us from her home being used as calateral against assistance??
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  John Legal replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer. I will answer as clearly as possible.

The general family trust would NOT protect the home for the purposes of qualification of government benefits in the future. An Irrevocable Grantor Trust likely would protect the home and allow qualification but only after 5 years of ineligibility after creation and funding of the trust. There are other possible techniques that will protect the home if 5 years of ineligibility is not an option. However, those techniques and the use of an irrevocable trust are very complex and involve many issue with regard to family dynamics, taxes and government benefits eligibility. You would really need to seek the experienced advise of an elder law attorney. You can find one at

I am cannot provide you with specific legal advise. I can provide you with general information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you can find online, should not take the place of having a detailed consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

When you review my initial response, please remember that I cannot guess what information you already know. I am answering the question(s) posed by you based upon my reading of your post and sometimes I can misunderstand or misinterpret your question. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please rephrase your specific question.

Sometimes the law does not support what you would like it to support. It is my job to give you an understanding of the state of the law, not just tell you what you want to hear. I ask that you respect that fact that you received an accurate account of the law by clicking Accept and giving me positive feedback.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more between my responses to your follow up questions because I may be helping other customers or have stepped away.

Finally, I appreciate repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with “Dear XXXXX…”

John Legal and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you