NateLawAnswers
NateLawAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Over 8 years of legal practice.
11217539

My Dads medicare coverage is about to run out and they want

My Dads medicare coverage is about to run out and they want me to apply for medicaid for him. Can they put a lean on all properties and bank accounts etc?
Expert:  NateLawAnswers replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Be sure to go ahead and bookmark www.nateanswers.com for future questions.

What is the total value of his assets?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
About 200,000
He is going to have spend that down in order to qualify for Medicaid. The asset cap for Medicaid is $2,000.00. The Medicaid look back period is 60 months. Any transfers within 60 months of application for Medicaid will result in a penalty and delay his eligibility.

The only alternatives to using it for his care at this point would be to make transfers that are exempted under the Medicaid rules. Generally, these are the only exempt transfers that will not affect Medicaid eligibility:

Transferring assets to certain recipients will not trigger a period of Medicaid ineligibility. These exempt recipients include the following:

An irrevocable trust can be established or a transfer made for any of the following purposes:

- A spouse (or a transfer to anyone else as long as it is for the spouse's benefit)
- A blind or disabled child
- A trust for the benefit of a blind or disabled child
- A trust for the sole benefit of a disabled individual under age 65 (even if the trust is for the benefit of the Medicaid applicant, under certain circumstances).

In addition, special exceptions apply to the transfer of a home. The Medicaid applicant may freely transfer his or her home to the following individuals without incurring a transfer penalty:

- The applicant's spouse
- A child who is under age 21 or who is blind or disabled
- Into a trust for the sole benefit of a disabled individual under age 65 (even if the trust is for the benefit of the Medicaid applicant, under certain circumstances)
- A sibling who has lived in the home during the year preceding the applicant's institutionalization and who already holds an equity interest in the home
- A "caretaker child," who is defined as a child of the applicant who lived in the house for at least two years prior to the applicant's institutionalization and who during that period provided care that allowed the applicant to avoid a nursing home stay.

______
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
His grandson has lived with him for 2 and a half years. does that qualify?
One would think that would be okay, but it's not. The Medicaid exemptions have been strictly interpreted to mean a literal child of an applicant. The grandchild would not qualify.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Now what should I try
The exemptions I listed are the only options. Either he transfers his assets as he wishes and waits five years to apply or else the money must be transferred in one of the methods I noted above.