Zachary
Zachary, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

I have a room rented to a person that has developed a re-occuring

I have a room rented to a person that has developed a re-occuring cancer condition. The police were called to check on her today from Adult services because someone was concerned about her eating habbits / health. How do I protect my family and be kind to her in a exit plan? What are my rights as far as giving her a notice, etc. BTW - I have talked to her family member to get ideas in finding a more sutiable place to live ( not upsatirs).
Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.

Zachary D. Norris :

Zachary D. Norris :

I'd be happy to help you.

Zachary D. Norris :

Are you there?

Customer:

yes

Zachary D. Norris :

Great.

Customer:

Do I give our renter a 30 day notice?

Zachary D. Norris :

Do you have a lease with the tenant

Customer:

No, it was verbal per month.

Zachary D. Norris :

OK. Give me a few minutes to check the statute and I will get back with you. Please stand by.

Customer:

ok

Zachary D. Norris :

OK. When you don't have a lease, the general rule to terminate a month to month is by 30 day written notice. There are some local restrictions if you live in a rent controlled city.

Zachary D. Norris :

In what city is the property.

Customer:

Its in Fountain Valley , Ca.

Zachary D. Norris :

Ok. Stand by.

Zachary D. Norris :

Alright, there is no rent control in Fountain Valley, CA. So that means the 30 day notice is all you need.

Customer:

ok, I guess that answers my q?

Zachary D. Norris :

The legal citation for the 30 day provision is California Civil Code 1946.

Zachary D. Norris :

I'd be happy to give you more information.

Zachary D. Norris :

You are asking of a way to be kind about the entire thing.

Customer:

Thank you Zachary, how do I provide feedback?

Zachary D. Norris :

There should be an option after you click "Accept". Is there anything further I can help you with?

Customer:

Yes, I don't want to disturb her any more than I need to.

Zachary D. Norris :

OK. There is nothing in the law that prohibits you from helping her. For example, you could deliver the letter in person and sit down with her and ask her if she needs help looking for another place to live, etc. Do you think she is going to resist moving out once you give her notice?

Customer:

Anything to watch out for in the wording of the notice?

Zachary D. Norris :

It is best to keep it simple and straightforward like the following:

Zachary D. Norris :

Dear Mrs._______:

Customer:

Just give dates, keep it simple, ya?

Zachary D. Norris :

Pursuant to California Civil Code Section 1946, we are providing you with thirty (30) days notice from the date of this letter to move out. This notice will terminate our verbal lease agreement as of the 30th day after the date of this notice. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Zachary, Attorney
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs