How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been threatened with legal action including paying court

Resolved Question:

I have been threatened with legal action including paying court costs and damages. I may need to file bankruptcy as a result. Does bankruptcy 'forgive' the awarded damages or am I still liable?

Optional Information:
Country relating to Question: United States
State (if USA): Washington
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TexLaw replied 4 years ago.

Bankruptcy does not forgive any legally owed damages. However, it does "stay" (ie, halt) all claims from proceeding and prevents a party from suing you in any other court while the bankruptcy is ongoing. If the person with the claim wants to be able to recover on that claim, he has to file it with the bankruptcy court, prove it there, and then get in line with all the other creditors. Depending on the type of Bankruptcy you file, you could have the claim reduced dramatically, or you could have the Court set up a payment plan to allow you to pay out any valid claim over time.

If you have a large amount on the line, then it might be wise to get a bankruptcy attorney to assist you in filing your bankruptcy.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

-Zachary D. Norris
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The lawyer I first hired was a new graduate from law school and I have now learned that she should NOT have taken my case and accepted my $7000 down. AFTER she filed my case in district court, the police lawyers moved it to federal court, she then dropped me and I MUST go through with this case as I was wrongly arrested becasue the dispacter told police on duty I had a gun and was going to kill my own daughter. My god, I would never do that and I don't own a gun, am AFRAID of guns. I need to add the dispacher to my lawsuit and am having a difficult time in proper paperwork.

Can I just re-type an :Anednaded Complaint" and add the dispatchers name to it? Do I need to serve her through a processor server or can I hand it to her? To the lawyers that are handling the police side? The lawyer has told me that they WILL sue for damages for their costs and fees for time and monies spent. This is a mess. What do I do? I have been told by other lawyers to drop the suit, but I have to live with this and what it has done to me and my husband. The police are denying that they made me urinate on camera and saying they were justified in putting a gun to my head, calling me Hispanic names, {i am not Hispanic} I am a white 60 year old handicapped female

Sorry to taqke up your time, but what do I do? How do I find a lawyer? Lawyer referral has no lawyers who can try a case in Federal court on file, so they can't give me a name. The good lawyers are all tpp busy with people maimed, comas or dead.

Expert:  TexLaw replied 4 years ago.
Your case is hard. You have only a limited amount of time to add the other parties, and unfortunately, a federal complaint is not something that is easy to put together.

I do not honestly think you have time to get the Amended Complaint completed, file it, get a citation issued, and serve it on the new defendants. You cannot serve it yourself, it must be served by a certified process server. It is often an expensive process.

If you have spoken to many attorneys and no one is interested in taking your case, then this might be indicative of the strength of your case, and you should really consider whether it is the wisest decision (and worth the continued stress) to press on in this case (or attempt to add more defendants to the case) when it might not be a winning case.

I cannot truly assess the strength of your case in this forum, and this would only be something a local attorney could do for you.

That being said, there should be a section on your complaint called "Parties" where the defendants who are already in the case are listed. You need to add the new names of the new follows:

"Defendant Jane Doe is a resident of ________county and may be served with process by serving her at her regular place of business ________-(address).

"The City of _________ is an incorporated city in the state of _________ and may be served with process by serving the City Attorney at ________(office address).

Then you have to have additional paragraphs which are separately numbered which detail the acts that the new defendants did which were illegal and why they are illegal.

In short, this is really a technical process and is extremely hard to do for a layperson with such short time.

Here is an example of an Amended Complaint.

I wish you the best of luck. I would continue calling "Plaintiff's" attorneys or "civil rights" attorneys and try to find someone who will take your case. Even if you miss your filing date, it sounds like you have a lot of the parties that are probably responsible for what happened to you.

TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions