Juliana
Juliana, Attorney
Experience:  23 years of experience; former prosecutor, magistrate, child support attorney

I was given a traffic ticket on I65 for changing lanes without

I was given a traffic ticket on I65 for changing lanes without signals (Improper Lane Movement), the state trooper said he followed me for 16 miles and saw me did that 5 times. The fine is $14.50(fine) +$115.50(Cost).

I do signal when I change lanes usually. What is my best strategy to contest this ticket?
Expert:  Juliana replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for requesting me. I believe I answered a similar question for you recently. I'm not sure if this pertains to the same incident, or if it's something different.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if the trooper says he saw you change lanes without signaling on 5 occasions in 16 miles, that will be difficult to beat. If he were to say he saw you do it once, that would certainly be easier for you to fight.

As I described in my answer to your previous question, the only successful "defense" to changing lanes without using a turn signal that I observed in the years that I prosecuted traffic cases was the avoidance of an emergency of some sort - i.e., an impending accident (for instance, the car in the next lane started to move over on you), an obstruction in the roadway (for instance, I once saw a living room chair fall off a pickup truck in front of me while I was driving on the interstate), an animal running across the road in front of your car, and things of that nature.

I wish I could give you a more optimistic answer, but, I hope you've found this to be informative, anyway.

Good luck,

Juliana

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the ticket be contested remotely in anyway? I'm 3 hours away from that town. Btw, I may have overlooked the your last answer, but I did not see it.
Expert:  Juliana replied 1 year ago.

No problem - I just wasn't sure if this was the same ticket, or another one.

I doubt if you would be able to contest the ticket except in person, unless the court that gave you the ticket is sophisticated enough to be equipped with video conferencing equipment. Some courts do video arraignments with inmates who are in jail, so some do have the capacity for this sort of thing. You would have to contact the court where you are supposed to appear to see if this would be an option in your case. But, I am inclined to doubt if it would be. Doesn't hurt to ask, though.

Good luck!

Juliana, Attorney
Experience: 23 years of experience; former prosecutor, magistrate, child support attorney