TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

Hi my name isXXXXX got evicted from a house because according

Hi my name isXXXXX got evicted from a house because according to the landlord drugs were being sold in the presence of a minor and on the property.But the eviction notice say somthing different from the Renters Agreement.this is what the eviction notice says"#7 of the agreement which states:Tenanat shall use the property for residential purpose only.Tenant shall not to engage in or permit any household memebers,realatives,guest,invitees or agents to engage in any unlawful use of the dwelling unit,common areas or grounds." but number 7 on the renters agreement says this under occupants "the tenant shall not permit the dwelling to be occupied for longer than a temporary visit by any except the idivduals listed below and except any children born to or adopted by such indivduals during the term of this lease; however the the landlord reserves the right to terminate this lease if the additional occupants would render the dwelling overcrowed under the state sanitary code." are these the same thing or different? the eviction notice also say drugs were being sold out of a sleeping bag.Which i don't own a sleeping bag.Plus she said she had proof is the renter suppose to see the proof before they move out.Plus I found out later on the neighbors were just trying to get me out of the house because they did not like a certain person who was at my house because the neighbor told me before i left that if i would have kicked that one person out I would still be living there.So I don't know I will say i did have some people staying with me who were not on the lease so I did not know what they were doing while i was not at home.
Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.

Zachary D. Norris :

Hi

Zachary D. Norris :

I'd be happy to help you.

Customer:
Zachary D. Norris :

I'm reviewing your question and will be back to you soon\

Zachary D. Norris :

Are you still living in the house or have you moved out already?

Customer:

I have moved out already I only had two weeks

Zachary D. Norris :

OK. Were you violating the lease at all by doing anything illegal or by letting someone stay there who was not on the lease?

Customer:

I did have some people staying with me who were'nt on the lease but they were not making there living there permanent

Zachary D. Norris :

OK. If you did not violate the lease and were current on paying rent, then the landlord has wrongfully evicted you,.

Zachary D. Norris :

You should file suit in the small claims court in your town

Zachary D. Norris :

And claim breach of contract and wrongful eviction

Zachary D. Norris :

You need to gather the costs you had to pay for moving out.

Customer:

Well the landlady said drugs were being sold out of a sleeping bag and she had proof but I did not see the proof

Zachary D. Norris :

And if you have found a new place to live which is more expensive than the old place, you can ask for the difference in price.

Zachary D. Norris :

I understand. If that is not true, then she has wrongfully evicted you.

Zachary D. Norris :

You can and should take action.

Customer:

I just don't know where to start

Zachary D. Norris :

What city are you in>?

Customer:

Bay St. Louis Mississippi

Zachary D. Norris :

Ok. give me a second and I'll get you more information.

Customer:

Ok thanks

Zachary D. Norris :

You need to go down to the local justice court.

Zachary D. Norris :

In Bay SL it is

HANCOCK COUNTY JUSTICE COURT

Tommy Carver
Desmond Hoda
Jay Lagasse

8450 Highway 90
Bay St. Louis, MS. 39520
(XXX) XXX-XXXX

Zachary D. Norris :

This is the court that is like the People's Court or Judge Judgy.

Zachary D. Norris :

Judy

Zachary D. Norris :

You don't have to be a lawyer and you can basically just file the case based on a form they should have down at the court house

Customer:

I have another question about it

Zachary D. Norris :

shoot.

Customer:

would it be too late because the eviction was last month

Zachary D. Norris :

It is not to late to claim wrongful eviction. However, it may be too late to get an order to let you resume living in the old place. You will likely only be given a monetary award.

Zachary D. Norris :

Do you have any further questions?

Customer:

oh so it would most likely be pointless or the better question is above all of this would this cause problems to move to my next house because right now I don't have my own house I am living with my father

Zachary D. Norris :

I don't think it should cause you any new problems on getting the next place.

Zachary D. Norris :

But you should be able to recover the difference between what you were paying, and the market rate for a place of similar size for the remainder of the term of the lease before you got wrongfully evicted.

Zachary D. Norris :

Let me say, that if the landlady doesn't have anyone new living in the place now, you can ask the judge to order her to let you resume your lease and stay there for the rest of the term

Customer:

wow that is a big relief

Customer:

I really appreciate your time this has helped me out alot

Zachary D. Norris :

I'm glad to help. Please show you were pleased with my work by clicking "Accept" if you need anything else just let us know.

Customer:

ok thank you

Customer:
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs