RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

Is a handwritten will that has been notarized a legal document

Is a handwritten will that has been notarized a legal document in the state of Illinois and does it void any previous wills?
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I appreciate your patience while I researched and typed out your answer.

In Illinois, a will must be in writing and must be signed by the testator (the person making the will). The will must also be witnessed by at least two other people (three if any of the witnesses signing are also beneficiaries). Therefore, a handwritten will, often called a "holographic" will, is valid in Illinois provided that it is witnessed and signed by at least two people.

If the will was not witnessed, it is not valid, and the old will would still control.

Please remember to rate my service, and if there's anything further you need, you can always REPLY before rating.