Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  13+ years experience in litigation and business law;
16823287

I NEED HELP GETTING A TITLE FOR A CAR IN GEORGIA. MY FATHER

I NEED HELP GETTING A TITLE FOR A CAR IN GEORGIA. MY FATHER BOUGHT A CAR FOR MY NEPHEW IN FEB 2009. IT WAS BOUGHT FROM A USED CAR DEALER THAT HASS SINCE GONE OUT OF BUSINESS.I HAVE A TITLE WITH CAR BUCKS OF BELVEDERE SC AS PURCHASER AND TLYER CHAVOUS AS BUYER DATED 1/22/09.MY FATHER WROTE A CHECK TO TYLER CHAVOUS(an employee of car bucks of belev.)WE HAVE A AFFIAVIT OF NOTIFICATION OF SALE FROM CAR BUCKS SIGNED BY TYLER CHAVOUS AS SELLER AND NEPHEW AS BUYER.MY NEPHEW NEVER HAD TITLE PUT IN HIS NAME.HOW CAN WE FIX THIS. DMV HAS BEEN NO HELP.
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is Maverick. I very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

Need clarification please. (1) Who is listed on the current title as "Seller" and "Buyer" and (2) Did the nephew buy the car from Tyler Chavous personally or did he buy it from Car Bucks after Tyler sold the car to Car Bucks?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
THIS GETS A LITTLE CONFUSING.DATED 1/22/09 TITLE HAS PURCHASER AS CAR BUCKS OF BELVEDERE. IT HAS IT HAS SEELER LISTED AS BLACKSHEAR MOTORS. TRANSFEREES(BUYER) HAS TYLER CHAVOUS. HE WAS AN EMPLOYEE AT THE TIME OF CAR BUCKS. CAR BUCKS HAS SINCE GONE OUT OF BUSINESS. MY NEPHEW HAD CAR FOR A FEW MONTHS WITH FILING ALL THE PAPER WORK. HE THEN STATED DOING DRUGS AND DAD TOOK CAR BACK.PAPERWORK IS STILL AS WAS. I HAVE A COPY OF CHECK MY DAD PAID TO TYLER CHAVOUS. WHEN MY DAD TRIED TO GET TITLE THEY GAVE HIM AN AFFIDAVIT OF CORRECTION TO COMPLETE, WHICH HE NEVER DID. HE PASSED AWAY 8/2010. THIS IS WHAT PAPERWORK I DO HAVE. TITLE WHICH HAD INFO AS DESCRIBED EARLIER,A TITLE/TAG APPLICATION WITH CAR INFO AND NEPHEW(XXXXX XXXXX SCTT JR.) AND HIS SIGNATURE.I HAVE A AFFIDAVIT NOTIFICATION OF SALE OF MOTOR VECHICHLE WITH CAR BUCKS AS SEELER, NEPHEW AS BUYER. SIGNATURE IS OF TYLER CHAVOUS AS SELLER.WE AVE TALKED TO CAR BUCKS BEFORE AND NO LIENS OR ANYTHNG ON CAR. POLICE RAN VIN NUMBER TO BE SURE NOT STOLEN.I HAVE A RECEIPT FOR MOTOR VEC. TAXES STATE AND COUNTY IN MY NEPHEWS NAME.THIS WAS ACTUALLY PAID BY MY SISTER.IS THERE A WAY TO SEND IN AFFIDAVIT OF CORRECTION AND JUST BYPASSING MY NEPHEW.OR, HE HAS SETTLED DOWN SOME AND PROBALLY IS AROUND TOWN IF WE MUST INCLUDE HIM. OR ALSO ON TITLE APPLICATION THERE IS A PLACE FOR OWNER 1 LISTED AS HIM AND A PLACE FOR OWNER2.IF I CAN GET NOTORIZED COPY OF AFFIDAVIT OF CORRECTION SINCE IT WAS NEVER REALLY TRANSFERED TO ANYONE JUST PUT IT IN OUR NAME?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
SO REALLY WHAT I AM SAYING AS WHEN YOU RUN INFORMATION ON CAR IT HAS CLEAN RECORD, NOT STOLEN,NEVER ACTUALLY TRANSFERED TO ANYONE SO HOW CAN WE GET IT IN OUR NAME. SOMEONE STOLE MY PURSE AND KEYS LAST AUGUST SO ONLY HAD 1 COMPUTERIZED KEY THAT WE CAN NOT GET DUPLICATE FOR UNTIL PAPERWORK MATCHES UP. NO ONE ELSE IS CLAIMING OWNERSHIP OF CAR. IT IS JUST KIND OF IN LIMBO
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 years ago.

Okay, so it looks like the last seller is Chavous and he sold to your nephew. I still am not clear on why the DMV told your dad to fill out an affidavit of correction. What part are they saying needs to be corrected?

Also, if you are wanting to title the car now in your name, it appears that you would have to do a purchase from your nephew if all the original papers indicate that your nephew was the buyer and Chavous was the seller.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
THAT IS WHAT I AM NOT SURE OF EITHER. WHEN MY DAD WAS STILL ALIVE MY BROTHER TOOK HIM DOWN AND GOT NOWHERE AND MY HUSBAND DID TOO. WHEN I ASKED MY HUSBAND WHAT WAS WRONG HE JUST SAID THE TITLE IS SO SCREWED UP. HE SAID YOU CAN GO DOWN THERE AND TRY. HE IS USUALLY GOOD AT THAT KIND OF STUFF SO I FIGURED I WOULD GET NOWHERE. THEN MY DAD GOT SICK AND IT GOT PUT ON THE BACK BURNER. I JUST STARTED LOOKING INTO IT AND AFTER CONTACTING YOU YESTERDAY AND LOOKING ONLINE AT DMV FORMS I ASKED HIM AGAIN WHY WOULD THEY NOT LET MY DAD GET TITLE IN HIS NAME AND HE SAID, TITLE WAS SIGNED IN WRONG PLACE. I NEVER REALIZED THAT MY NEPHEWS NAME ISXXXXX TITLE ANYWHERE. JUST TYLER CHAVOUS AS TRANSFEREEES(BUYER) AND CAR BUCKS AS PURCHASER AND SELLER AS BLACKSHEAR MOTORS. I WOULD LIKE TO BYPASS NEPHEW CAUSE SOMETIMES HE IS HARD TO LOCATE. HE HAS NO PROBLEM WITH US HAVING CAR. SOMETIMES YOU JUST CAN NOT GET A HOLD OF HIM.
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 years ago.

Okay, the first thing to try is to go there with the affidavit of correction and try to get the car titled to your name. This may require you to get a hold of Chavous since it appears that he signed in the wrong place. Since neither your dad nor your nephew have been identified on the title as buyers/tranferees you may still be able to get your name put on there but it may require Chavous's help.

So, first look at the affidavit and tell me what info is required and we can go forward from there.

Maverick, Attorney
Experience: 13+ years experience in litigation and business law;
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
THE ONLY THING I KNOW ABOUT CHAVOUS IS HIS NAME. HE WORKED FOR CAR BUCKS BUT CAR BUCKS NO LONGER AROUND.THE AFFIDAVIT OF CORRECTION HAS DATE, TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; THE STRIKEOVER ON THE ASSIGNMENT OF THE ATTACHED MANUFACTURES STATEMENT OF ORGIN: YEAR,MODEL, MAKE OF VECHICLE AND VIN NUMBER WAS MADE DUE TO THE FOLLOWING REASONS 1) TYPOGRAPHICAL ERROR. 2) CUSTOMER CHANGED MIND. 3)SEELER SIGNED THEIR NAME INCORRECTLY.4)SELLER ASSIGNED THE TITLE TO HIMSELF. 5)SELLER ASSIGNED TITLE TO WRONG PARTY.6) SELLER MADE STRIKEOVER IN PURCHASERS NAME.7)ASSIGNMENT PLACED IN DEALER ASSIGNMENT IN ERROR .8)NOTARY PUBLIC PLACED SIGNATURE IN WRONG PLACE. 9)PURCHASERS NAME MISPELLED. 10)THER WITH ROOM TO EXPLAIN. SWORN TO AND SUBSCRIBED BEFORE ME THIS_____DAY OF _________, YEAR PLACE FOR NOTARY PUBLICS SIGNATURE &SEAL STAMP . DATE COMMISSION EXPIRES . FOOTNOTE AT BOTTOM SAYED NOTE: THIS FORM SHOULD BE COMPLETED BY THE PERSON WHO WAS REGUIRED TO COMPLETE THE ASSIGNMENT WHRE THE CORRECTION HAS BEEN MADE. CAN NOT BE USED WHEN INFORMATION HAS BEEN BLOCKED OUT BY ERASURE OR USE OF OTHER CORRECTION FLUID. IN THESE CASES REPLACEMENT DOCUMENTS MUST BE OBTAINED. IT CAN NOT BE USED TO CORRECT AN ODOMETER READING, PURCHASE DATE OR INCORRECTLY LEIN OR SECURITY HOLDER. I CAN PROBALLY GET A FORM NOTERIZED WITHOUT THEM HAVING TO ACTUALLY VIEW SIGNING. ALSO SINCE NO ONE ELSE HAS CLAIM TO CAR COULD I POSSIBLY DO A CERTIFICATE OF TITLE BOND AFFIDAVIT STATING THAT ON THIS DATE WE AQUIRED A VECHILE FROM (fill in info)WITH AN EXPLAINATION AS TO WHY SATISFACTORY AND ERGIRED TITLE DOCUMENTS CANNOT BE PRODUCED FOR THE FOLLOWINF REASONS _________THEN HAVE THAT NOTORIZED. SINCE ORGINAL SELLER CAR BUCKS OR CHAVOUS CAN NOT BE LOCATED NO ONE WOULD BE CHALLENGING THIS DOCOUMENT
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 years ago.

You may want to select one or more of the options as to why a correction is needed as I cannot see what went wrong on the title without viewing it. I would try that avenue second.

If Chavous cannot be located, I like your second idea better and I would suggest trying that bond form first. If that fails then try the correction affidavit. If both of those fail, you will need to file a declaratory judgment action with the court and have the court order the title transfered in your name.