LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

i want to write a good letter for judge on behalf of my brother,

i want to write a good letter for judge on behalf of my brother, but I am a ESL so my writing is not good and i am stuck and don't know what to write or how to?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 4 years ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

I certainly understand your situation. What is the matter for which your brother is in front of a Judge? Is this a criminal matter and he is going to be sentenced?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
this is criminal matter and he had sign agreement and will be sentencing on June 15 2012 and I need to be done with the letter by thursday..so please help me
I will be happy to help you. The purpose of the letter is to try and get the Judge to show leniency. As such, you want to write thing to the Judge, to show him/her that your brother is essentially a good person and the crime for which he is charged with was isolated and outside of his character. You want to tell the Judge the type of family man he is, how he contributes to society, the good things he does and the hardship that your family will face, if he is sentenced to jail or prison. You do not want to talk about the facts of the case unless they were justified in some manner. For example, if he was charged with theft and he needed food to feed his family, it may have been legal but a reasonable person could understand and not punish someone as a person who keeps stealing and does not have to, to survive. The letter should be as straight forward as possible and kept as short as possible, while making sure you say everything which is relevant. If you submit a 5 page letter telling the Judge how sorry you are for what he did, he may not read it in as much detail as a one page letter, talking about what will result from a harsh sentence.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yeah..I am plan on writing 1 and half page to judge.. I want the just show leniency and I would like to writing about his character and ask for forgive...and hope the judge to feel pity for him...
Yes, that is correct. Make sure you write on the top of the letter your brothers name and case number, so the Judge knows what it is in reference to.

Thank you for allowing me to answer your question. Please
let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on
something which I stated above. I want to make sure your experience with the
site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I
provided. If you have nothing further, please rate my answer so I can get credit for my help - I hope you found it to be Excellent!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
that is, that all you can help me with...I thought it would be more like example of letter how I write it..
I can continue to answer questions which you may have. I can not actually write it for you but if you want to know something else, please ask. You want to write the just like you would to anyone. There is no format like in a legal motion and you want to address the Judge by his name ( i.e. Judge _______) and go into detail about your brother and what we stated above. I know you may think it has to be complex but it does not. A letter for the Judge to read prior to sentencing needs to be written like any other letter you would write to someone.
What is it that your brother was charged with ? Is he a first time offender?