Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

How much over the speed limit is considered "reckless driving"

for a cld driver cited... Show More
for a cld driver cited in a regular passenger car?
Under Texas law, reckless driving can be based on driving too fast for the road and traffic conditions at the time. Texas charges reckless driving for anyone who is doing 20 mph or more over the speed limit. It is a class I misdemeanor punishable by up to 1 year in jail and up to a $2500 fine. Also, in some counties the judges will impose jail time for anyone caught doing 90 mph or above.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer OR the HAPPY SMILEY FACE. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
I need more information and be more specific than general. If I was not arrested or does NOT state on my citation reckless driving, than can I assume no reckless charges will be filed? Or do I have to wait until the citation is filed with the criminal lawyers and they will decide if reckless charges will be filed? If I posess a CDL drivers licence can I lose these licence if convicted of reckless driving? I make a living with my CDL drivers licence so I am concerned...please respond
I am afraid I am confused by you saying "...or does not state on my citation reckless driving..." What exactly does your citation state, since I cannot see it for myself?
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
Under the Violation section the traffic officer wrote, "speeding", with no other offenses noted on the citation. So is it fair for me to ask if speeding is an offense where no other offenses will apply such as "reckless driving?
If all you were charged with was speeding, then it is generally not a common practice of a prosecutor to change the charge to reckless, although they have the power to do so. In most all cases, if you were charged with speeding that will remain the only charge and you can go down to court and negotiate with the prosecutor and most times they will even reduce the miles over the limit which would reduce your fine as well.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
I was radar'd at 83mph on a 65mph speed limit. That is 18 mph over the speed that limit I am charged with speeding. Your orginal response, "Texas charges reckless driving for anyone who is doing 20 mph or more over the speed limit", does this also apply to CDL licence?
18 is less than 20 over and thus, it the prosecutor is not going to change the charge. It applies to a cdl or regular license and your charge of speeding would remain. It is likely that the prosecutor will negotiate with you to drop the speed to 5-10 over the limit which will reduce your fine.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
I really do hope your advice is on the mark. I cannot find out any information on this citation until 2 weeks of today because that is when it will be filed with municipal court. I cannot have this over my head for 2 weeks wondering if I will be unemployed because of this citation. I thank you for your advice and once again, I pray your advice is very, very accuate. I will accept your answer so you may be paid for your service..thank you...hank
I am afraid that all you can do is wait for it to be sent to the court and then appear. The prosecutor does not have time to change charges on tickets the officers write, they would be there forever. If the officer wrote speeding, it will stay speeding. Thank you.