Robert
Robert, Attorney
Experience:  I am a licensed Attorney.
62978293

Are there any law suits against ITT Technical College for misrepresentation

Are there any law suits against ITT Technical College for misrepresentation as to costs and accredidation issues?
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It doesn't appear that I was answered. Looks like I was asked for more information, but don't know how to do that.
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 2 years ago.
No further information is needed. Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing JustAnswer!

In August 1998, 15 former students alleged misrepresentation, fraud and concealment by ITT arising out of their recruitment and education at ITT campuses. In September 1998, ITT settled all of the claims. [1]

On February 25, 2004, federal agents raided the company's headquarters and ten of its campuses.[2] The investigation negatively affected the company's stock and triggered several class action lawsuits by investors.[3][4]

In October 2005, ITT agreed to pay $730,000 to settle a lawsuit with California in which employees alleged that it inflated students’ grade point averages so they qualified for more financial aid from the State of California.[5]

An investigation by WGBA-TV (NBC26, Green Bay, Wisconsin) found evidence of widespread grade inflation. In one instance, a student got 100% on a computer forensics assignment by emailing the professor a noodle recipe. The station believes this to be a way to increase federal student aid funding.[6]

In early March 2011 WTMJ-TV (NBC4, Milwaukee, Wisconsin) ran an investigation finding teachers lying on attendance records so they could get cash bonuses paid by ITT Tech. ITT Tech uses an attendance policy as part of a requirement to get financial aid to show student progress.[7]

ITT Technical College has had a less than prestigious record in the education business. If you believe that you were a victim of such conduct then you may be interested in contacting a class action attorney who can put a case together for you and anyone else that is similarly situated to you. The following link will allow you to select your area in Louisiana and it will then display contact information for attorneys near you:

http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/practicestate/Class-Actions----Plaintiff/Louisiana

I hope this has helped. Please let me know if you need me to further clarify my answer and I will do my best to so clarify.

Thank you,

Robert

1. ITT Educational Services, Inc · 424B4 · On 1/27/99
2. Feds serve warrants at ITT Tech campuses, CNN
3. Federal Probe Targets ITT Tech, CertCities March 2, 2004
4. ITT's CEO Expects Lengthy Federal Investigation, Stock Slips, Channel Web Network, Feb. 26, 2004, Mark Jewell
5. ITT, Calif. Settle False Claims Lawsuit, Inside Higher Education, Oct. 18, 2005, Doug Lederman
6. NBC26 Special Report: Easy A's, WGBA-TV, Accessed 2/17/11
7. I-Team: Teachers Told to Lie?, WTMJ-TV, Accessed 3/3/11
Robert, Attorney
Experience: I am a licensed Attorney.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for your info.... but, i guess i really want to know if i can expect anything out of suing ITT Tech - for misrepresentation at the time my son "enrolled" in their so-called college. We were just asked to come back to sign more loan paperwork and realized he already owes $20,000.00 for about 6-8 months of classes. We are the idiots that signed his enrollment - but were under the impression $20,000 would be the approximate owed for Associates Degree and then another $20,000 for BS...

Now - we see that the total would actually be right at about $90,000.00!!!! for completion of BS in Computer Science.

We did sign PLENTY of papers that day. If there is nothing I can do about this rip off-

then, I need to just accept that we threw $20,000 out the window. : /

The credits can't be transferred to any other college.

He did drop out and is now registering for real college......

I promise not to write back to you with more questions! I just didn't ask the right question to begin with. Wasn't sure how this worked.

**SOOO --- my one question is ----

Should I try to sue for misrepresentation, even though we obviously signed contracts that indicate totally different type of agreement than when we were talking with the recruiter?

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your follow-up. I'm glad to help.

First, I will start by saying that I do not have enough details to determine with absolutely certainty that you will or will not be successful in a lawsuit against the school. It is oftentimes very difficult to win against a for-profit school that has your signature on documents indicating that you agree to exactly what you received in the end, even if it turns out to be a poor deal for the student. Having said that, to be completely sure you may want to search for attorneys in your area that are willing to provide you with a free (or cheap) initial consultation. From what you have told me it does not look good, but again I do not have enough details and there has been successful legal action in the past against this for-profit school.

You can also look over the enrollment papers you signed meticulously to try to find something they agreed to do but failed to do. You may also attempt to contact the Louisiana Attorney General Office as they may be able to provide you with assistance or a reference to a good Attorney. The following link contains that office's contact information:

http://ag.state.la.us/Article.aspx?articleID=28&catID=12

I know this may not have been the answer you were hoping for but you could still possibly have a case; I just don't have enough information and it would be best for you to at least speak with a local Attorney to discuss what misrepresentations they made (in light of the papers you signed). I hope this has helped your understanding of the situation. Please let me know if you need me to further clarify and I will do my best to so clarify.

Thank you,

Robert

While of course not required, positive feedback and/or a bonus are greatly appreciated if I have been helpful. To request my assistance again in the future, please go to the following link and enter your question on my profile page:

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-askrobert/