How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J.Hazelbaker Your Own Question
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4385
Experience:  Attorney and small business owner with 10 years experience in the general practice of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
J.Hazelbaker is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a request for a taped conversation with a business and

Customer Question

I have a request for a taped conversation with a business and my daughter regarding a service that is being charged on my cell phone account that i did not authorize. I requested a copy of the conversation but the company will not release it without a court order. Can I obtain an order by filing a request to the court? If I am being forced to pay for something I feel I should hear their defense evidence ie: the customer service conversation
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 5 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Under Minnesota law, you can obtain a court order, but would first need to file a lawsuit. Once the lawsuit is filed, you can file a "request for product" that would require the company provide the requested information.

The only other option that could put enough pressure on them to get them to move would be filing a compalint with the Minnesota Attorney General. You can do this online free of charge. Here is the web address:

Please let me know what follow-up questions you have. If my above responses have been helpful, please click Accept so that I get credit for the time/effort. You may always restart the thread and ask follow-up questions at any time by clicking the “Reply” button at the bottom of the question/answer thread. You can access this thread later in your profile under the “My Questions” tab.

J.Hazelbaker and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
In the event I would choose to file would this be a conciliation court matter or district court? It is only $165.00 but it borders on poor business ethics. I should have the right to access why I am paying for a service fee.
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 5 years ago.

I responded to your other post, but will also respond here.

It would be a Conciliation Court / small claims case.

First, look to your service agreement for "dispute resolution" terms. They may provide alternative mechanisms. The service agreement is what governs and it would not be surprising for the company to be taking a position that is inconsistent withn their own agreement.

If you signed the service agreement, then you should have a right to the requested information.