LawBeagle
LawBeagle, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney
56094747

My daughter in law has been harassing my fiance lately. She

My daughter in law has been harassing my fiance lately. She made fale accuasations about him telling people, hes retarded, his kids are retarded,hes sleezy (because she claims to be a good judge of character) and he's a pedifile. He has been a school bus driver for 11 years, and retired 2 years ago, and is now a volunteer fireman. She had tried to get him arrested one day when we had gone back the house I built and she is trying to evict me because i'm with him and she want her son and girlfriend to move in my side of the house, things were fine for the past 1 1/2 years we camp together, they ate dinner at my table for 4 years and my son sat at my table for a 1/2 hour to an hour talking to him. She also had control of my money for 3 years and I found out my bills weren't getting paid so last summer I took my finances back and that's when she turned on me, then she wanted him to pay rent when we were living there and found out he didn't have to because he was living with me, she then made our lives miserable that he bought a mobile home. I am helping him fix it up and staying with him. She also screamed at him in the middle of the road at the camp ground because he got a letter from a cruise line and I told him to ask her if he had to do anything with it as the man who sets them up works with my son and we have been on several of cruises with them of which she has paid for out of my money without my permission. He was standing next to her as she was sitting in a high rise chair and he mentioned that he wanted to take me to hawaii and turned to look at me and smile, and usually I give him a someday answer but this time I didn't, now from where she was sitting and he was standing she couldn't see him, her girlfriend who was sitting in her yard said something to her and we were taking the dogs for a walk and she caught up to us and started yelling at the top of her lungs in the middle of the road with all the campers watching and I told her it had nothing to do with her then she was all lovey dovey. This was after I said I was taking back my finances. I have recently found out that she was using my money for her own personal interest. Can he charge her with harassment and slander?
Expert:  LawBeagle replied 2 years ago.

It is possible that her actions could qualify as harassment in your jurisdiction. While he cannot "charge" her (this is done by a district attorney), he can call the police and file a report, and if the police arrest her, then a district attorney can choose to charge her with harassment. Many people in this same situation would want to consider calling the police.

Slander is a type of defamation, which is not a criminal action. If your fiancee wanted to file a civil action against her, he could do so. While mere opinion, like "he's a jerk", are not actionable, specific things such as "he's a pedophile" can be actionable. Also, anything that she has said that is true is not actionable, as truth is an absolute defense against defamation. If he wants to take that type of action against her, he should consider retaining a local attorney to help him do so.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions! I hope this helps. If my answer has been informative, please click the green Accept button, as I will not receive credit for my response unless you do so. I am happy to answer follow up questions. After you hit Accept, type your response and hit reply, and I will get right back with you. Thanks again!

I love working with the same customers, as this provides a better experience for you. If you would like to request me in the future, simply put "FOR LawBeagle" at the beginning of your future questions.

______________________________________________________________________
DISCLAIMER Just Answer experts DO NOT provide legal services. In order to obtain a legal opinion or advice, you must retain the services of a licensed attorney located in your state. The answer provided is FOR INFORMATIONAL OR RESEARCH PURPOSES only, and does not constitute legal advice or a legal opinion AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON TO MAKE LEGAL DECISIONS. FURTHERMORE, by clicking Accept or viewing my response, you agree that this response WILL NOT be used to obtain credit at any institute of learning and is for background or research purposes only. YOUR QUESTIONS AND MY RESPONSE ARE NOT CONFIDENTIAL, as they are viewable by the public. No attorney-client relationship is formed. By viewing my response, and/or clicking the "Accept" button, you are agreeing to these terms.Let me know if you have any other specific questions! I hope this helps. If my answer has been informative, please click the green Accept button, as I will not receive credit for my response unless you do so. I am happy to answer follow up questions. After you hit Accept, type your response and hit reply, and I will get right back with you. Thanks again!
LawBeagle, Attorney
Experience: Licensed attorney