How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask JB Umphrey Your Own Question

JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20232
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
JB Umphrey is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

a report was called in to the sheriffs saying my young children

Resolved Question:

a report was called in to the sheriffs saying my young children were playing on the street, but my children were in the front yard. the sheriff said he had to call children services and now they want to do a home assessment and want to speak to my and my young children, what are our rights?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 3 years ago.
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of these circumstances. You are free to decline their request for a home assessment. You are free to decline to answer their questions.

If they wish to pursue the matter, they can obtain a court order to enter your home. If that occurs, they can question your children outside of your presence.

The question of course is whether or not they have probable cause evidence to give a judge. If they do not have probable cause, then a judge will not sign such an order.

Of course, you are also free to simply invite them into your home, show them that your children are properly cared for, answer their questions, and they will close out the complaint as unsubstantiated.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied and select the Happy Smiley Face. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you have other questions on different matters, you can ask me at Or there are also other Experts ready to assist you in a range of Legal specialties, Veterinary, Cars and others – you can reach them via the homepage.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay but my children are very young 6, 4 and 3. I don't know if it's wise to let them talk to CPS since they tell stories on each other 'lies' they blame each other for things that the others haven't done. Such as who left the milk out? My sons will blame each other or my youngest and I want to know what is in their best interest in this type of circumstances. They are scared because the cops were here first. Plus they weren't on the road playing it was the call that was made from a neighbor who wants us out. The cop never seen them and I went outside they weren't on the road but in my yard. What should I do?
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 3 years ago.
CPS understands kids. They've seen and heard it all. The only job of CPS is to ensure that your children are in a safe environment.

What you already have working for you is the officer not seeing anything wrong. The officer only notified CPS because that's what their policy requires. It's all a matter of being proactive in ensuring that kids are safe. Nothing more. Most of these files are closed out with no action -- because they are so proactive and take nothing for granted. They don't want to risk ignoring a sign and later having a child harmed.

CPS also understands neighbor disputes.

The easiest thing to do is just cooperate. Thank them for their time. And then apologize for them having to come out, but you appreciate the job they do, for some reason the neighbor doesn't like you, etc. And leave it at that. CPS just wants to see that they're safe. And, again, they understand kids and, yes, sometimes kids will say things that embarrass parents. It happens. That doesn't mean you're a bad parent.

Everyone has a job to do. There's no harm in letting them do theirs and, in the process, ticking off your neighbor when CPS takes no action.
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20232
Experience: Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
JB Umphrey and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions