Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Hello, I hope that someone can help me. I have an upcoming

Hello, I hope that someone can help me. I have an upcoming court date of 5-8-12 involving my landlord. They have issued an 60 notice to vacate order that will appear before a judge on that day, I want to know what I have to do to fight it or what are my legal rights. The court papers that they filed says that I signed for a certified letter informing me to vacate the property, the propblem is the one that simmitted to the court does not include the reason why they want us to leave; that being that :"This property has been foreclosed and you are unlawfully detatning this residence." by ommiting that sentence I feel that they are trying to lie to the court by not presenting the accurate paperwork. I went to Legal Aid and the intake worker looked at my paper work and noticed that there seems to be no forecloser papers filed anywhere, which seems like frude or intimidation. There seems to be confusion as to who owns the property I was told to make payments first to Lakeside National,LLC 54 Windemere Parkway, Phonenix, Maryland 21131 then curretly to Hunter Investments,LLCXXXXXEssex, Maryland 21221. The Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxtation Real Property Dats Search (vw1.1A) Baltimore City says that the owner of my house is listed as Laurens Purchase,LLC the street address of the house but the mailing address is the same as Lakeside National,LLC 54 Windemere Parkway Phonenix MdNNN-NN-NNNNmy question is who have I been paying rent to Laurens Purchase,LLC or Lakeside National,LLC. Then there are the lack of repairs that they have not been made in over a year, the roof leaks causing black mold to appear on the walls that may not be good for my health since I have asthma, the kitchen sink facute chrome split spraing water under the sink causing mold to grow there which can't be colllected with a bucket it is rotting the floor, the toilet is not flushing properly we have to pour water in the bowl to clear the waste. There are so many things wrong with the house that they have not fixed even after many letters I have sent them. In conclusion what do you think my legal rights are if any.You can contact me [email protected] my name isXXXXX my phone number is (XXX) XXX-XXXX I hope that you can help me or direct me to someone who can, I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question, Ms. WIlliams.

I am sorry to hear that you are in this situation. Did you ever obtain or receive a formal letter from a new entity claiming that they are the new owners of the property? Also, do you have a written lease, and if so, what type of a lease is it (month-to-month, annual, etc...).

Please advise.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your response, I received a letter dated 11-19-10 saying that 'all rents due on this porperty beginning December 1, 2010, must be paid to Lakeside National, LLC at the above address and not to Jemel Willimas or his current property manager. We have the legal authority to collect the rent under an assignment of rents and leases incorroprtated into the mortgage on the property which you are renting because your Landlord is not making his mortage payments to us...." Then on January 3, 2010 (which I think they ment 2011 ) I received a letter stating in part : "This letter is to serve as legalnotice to you tht all current and past due rents due on this property MUST be paid to our Management Company, Hunter Investments, LLC atXXXXX Essex, Md. 21221 as per an agreement stated within the attached "Assignment of Rents and Leases" document. We have the legal authority to collect these rents under the

"Assignment of Rents and Leases" incorporated in the Mortgage on the property which you are renting, because your landlord is not making his morgage payments to us...." this is a month-to-month lease and as stated the papers filed in court said that the house has been forclosured but no new owners have been in contact with us. From what I am sending you it looks like they have the legal right to proceed but I am not sure if the owner of the property is Lakeside National,LLC or Laurens Purchase,LLC there has not been a lease signed by us with this or these companies they seem to be using a lease we had with the pervious landlord, Jamal Williams (no relation.)

Thank you for your follow-up.

So from what I gather, confused as to whom you would have to pay, you withheld the rents and paid neither the initial owner nor the two new owners since you were confused as to whom to pay. Do I understand correctly?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
From what I just sent you, it seems that we have payed rent to Hunter Investments which is the management company for either Lakeside Property or Laurens Purchase,LLC so my guess is that Hunter Investements collects rent for either one of these companys; all I know is that Laurens Purchase, LLC is the name on file with Baltimore City tax office, what Lakeside Property,LLC is all about I couldn't tell you. But I really want to know can Hunter Investments be held acctable for filing what I veiw as false paperwork to the court of Baltimore since they left out a whole sentence about why they want us to leave the house,(all I know for sure is the letter that I signed for is not the one they simmited to the court, and I have the letter to prove it.)
Thank you for your follow-up.

I am sorry but I see that as a non-issue. Since you are month-to-month, the owner (whomever it may be), would not need to require any cause to cancel your lease--simply if they want you out and cancel your lease provided they gave you enough notice (and 60 days is enough notice), if they can show ownership and they otherwise served you correctly, that is enough to pursue a formal hearing for an eviction. So no, it is not "false" paperwork, they do not need to have a reason to evict, they can simply choose not to renew your lease once the next month rolls around, something they informed you in writing that they will be doing.

Good luck.