MShore
MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
17924466

If my boyfriend gave me his password XXXXX access his account,

Customer Question

If my boyfriend gave me his password XXXXX access his account, is it illegal to look through his email? We are currently not together and he is threatening to sue me for invasion of privacy. Does he have legal grounds?
Expert:  MShore replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Yes, he does have grounds to sue you. This is because he did not authorize you to access his email without his consent, even if you did have the password XXXXX one point. He can argue he provided the password XXXXX limited use with his consent, and such consent was conditioned upon your relationship, and since the relationship ended there was no consent, express or implied, for your use of his password XXXXX access his email. Please let me know if you need additional guidance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So if he follows through with legal action, what are the consequences for such an offense?
Expert:  MShore replied 4 years ago.
If he sues you civilly, he could be awarded compensatory and punitive damages for the invasion of privacy. If he reports the matter to the authorities, you could be charged criminally and face a $5000 fine.