socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I have a family court judgement out of TX from 2002 that was

I have a family court judgement out of TX from 2002 that was never collected for attorney fees and expenses; the f/c case was domesticated in AZ in 2009; can I still collect on this judgment? If so, how.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.
The statute of limitation for enforcement of a foreign state judgment in Arizona is based upon the statute of limitations in the foreign state. In Texas the statute of limitations is 10 years from the date that the judgment was originally entered into the court file. This means that if it has been more than 10 years from the date in 2002 when your judgment was entered, you can no longer enforce the judgment in Arizona. However, if it has not been 10 years yet, then you can ask the Texas court to renew the judgment for another 10 years, and then you would have at least 5 years (renewable) to continue to try to enforce the judgment in Arizona.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate the public about the law. Please help me in this effort by clicking Accept (or, click on one of the happy smiley faces/stars/etc., if applicable) for my Answer to your Question. If you have a subscription account, clicking Accept does not create any additional charge. It merely gets me credit for my Answer.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The judgment was signed Oct 22, 2002; I no longer live in TX, but have representation in AZ; Can you tell me what paperwork I would need to submit to TX to renew the judgement there? Thank you.

There is no form for what you require, which is a "writ of scire facias," or "action on debt." It's just a motion pleading requesting the court to revive the judgment. But, you will need a Texas lawyer to handle it for you.

For a competent referral, see this link.

Hope this helps.

socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience: Retired (mostly)