Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

I stupidly went for a scam involving my persoanl bank account.

Customer Question

Will the bank take all my money leaving literally penniless?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello. My name is Alex and I will be happy to answer your question.

Can you please tell me more about what happened to you, so I can better understand your situation?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am unemployed and desperate for money. I got a notification that was supposedly from Career Buidlers abourt a part time job as an accounts receiveable clerk. I put a check in my bank account and when it cleared I got a commission and wired the money to a guy who I did not know in the Phillipines. I expected that it was a scam when I did not hear back and when I checked the internet I found out that this is a common scam
Thank you for your follow up.

I am sorry to hear that you had became a victim of this common fake check scam.

How much was the check for and was it already returned as fraudulent/fake check to your bank and was your account debited/adjusted for the value of this check?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The check has not been returned yet the amount was 2,598 that is my rent and cobra payment
Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, I am afraid that I will have to inform you that you are fully responsible for any check that you do deposit into your bank, especially if the bank makes funds available early and you take out the funds and the check is later returned as uncollectible because it is fake, stolen, etc...

You did the right thing by reporting this fraud to the FBI, your bank and I would also suggest that you report it to your local police, however unfortunately, while these reports should protect you from criminal liability associated with depositing a counterfeit check, it will not release you from the financial liability to your bank for any money that you withdrew under the assumption that this check was good.

I am very sorry this has happened to you, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when the answer is not favorable to the customer.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button or a smiley face..

Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT or a Smiley Face.

Bonus and positive feedback are always greatly appreciated
Do you have any related follow up questions or do you need for me to further explain my answer to you?