LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

I want to file for a divorce. My wife is a chronic alcholic

I want to file for a divorce. My wife is a chronic alcholic and her legal issues are stacking up. I've tried to help her but it's just not working. Our kids are terrified of her. I want full custody. Bills are to much to bare but I can't stay in this nightmare. Infidelity is a big part because of her drinking. What are my options?
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®:

I am a licensed attorney and will do my best to provide you an honest and accurate answer to your important legal question.

My goal is to make your experience here highly satisfactory. Toward that end, please keep a few details in mind during our interaction:

1. I am a lousy mind reader. If you do not supply information to me, I do not know it. Please, give me the needed details to work with so I can provide you with the best possible service. Also, if you use the RELIST or BLOCK features, our discussion ends and I may no longer be able to assist. Please, just write back to me, directly, and talk to me.

2. Also, while I make every effort to work in a timely fashion, answering legal questions is not an instantaneous process. I am required to conduct research, interact with multiple customers simultaneously and sometimes take a break. Also, there may be times when I have to sign off for the night or to attend to other obligations. Rest assured, however, I will get back to you.

3. If you have a new legal question, the terms of this site ask that you post it in a separate thread. In other words, please be fair and reasonable. You can direct any future questions to my attention. Just go to my Profile Page, type in the text box "ask Your Question", click the hyperlink that says "15 minutes", and use the drop down menu to select 12 hours.

4. Please remember that many times even attorneys disagree with the law. But, we cannot change it. The answer I give you is based on my years of legal education and professional practice. It may well not be what you were hoping to hear. I will be upfront and direct. I will not mislead you, misstate the law to suit your hopes, or agree just to meet your expectations.

5. If you answer an Information Request and I start working on formulating your answer, it does take some time to draft a quality response. In the meantime, you may receive a message indicating that I am "offline" or "unavailable". This is not the case. These messages are generated automatically without my knowledge or input.

6. Lastly, please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated. Information provided is informational and not legal advice. I am not your attorney. No attorney-client relationship exists between us. Consult legal counsel in your jurisdiction.

QUESTION: "What are my options?"

ANSWER: I am sorry to hear of your difficulties. This is a painful chapter in your life, but I hope things do look brighter eventually. You state you want to file for divorce, which leaves you facing two options. First, you could retain family law counsel. For an all-inclusive fee of $20, which is exceptionally modest in today's legal world, you could seek help through the State Bar of Texas: Lawyer Referral Information Service. That is what I would do were I in your shoes. Secondly, you could proceed as a pro se (self-represented) divorce litigant. Unfortunately, unlike some more "user friendly" state jurisdictions, Texas has no standardized forms promulgated for this purpose. Given that children are involved, it is all the more imperative to have a lawyer. In my opinion, which I offer as a member of the State Bar of Texas, it would be exceptionally imprudent to proceed otherwise. Your number one first priority is to confer with local legal counsel. You deserve better than being treated shabbily and I do hope you see justice accomplished with this dispute.

I truly hope all works out for you. I know this is a lot to take in, so please do not hesitate to write back. After you select "Accept", our conversation need not end. I would be happy to continue our dialog, without further charge, until you are fully satisfied. I promise to check back periodically for any updated posts from you each time I return to this online venue.

Take care and thanks again for choosing JustAnswer®!

Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: LawInfoNow. Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience: Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.