Juliana, Attorney
Experience:  23 years of experience; former prosecutor, magistrate, child support attorney

A day after two delivery men were in my home I discovered that

A day after two delivery men were in my home I discovered that 2 items of jewelry were missing (rings valued at approximately $2000). I have searched the house and the rings cannot be found. While I didn't see either of them take anything, I was not observing them the enire time they were in the house and no one else has been in the house. What should I do? Contact the delivery company or the police?
Expert:  Juliana replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

The delivery men are most likely bonded. This means they are insured in case something gets damaged or turns up missing in their dealings with customers. The insurance company would pay for the damaged/missing item if a claim is filed.

Contacting the police and contacting the delivery company will accomplish two different things. The delivery company can file a claim with the bonding company to hopefully get you reimbursed for the amount of your necklace. Calling the police, on the other hand, might result in criminal charges against one or both of the delivery men, and it may or may not result in getting you reimbursed for your missing items (depending on whether there is a conviction, and if so, if the judge orders restitution).

If I were in your shoes, I would probably call both the delivery company and the police, just to cover all bases.

Hope this helps. Good luck.