John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.
18914223

I am 59 turning 60 in AUG12. My wife is 65 turning 66 in JUN12.

I am 59 turning 60 in AUG12. My wife is 65 turning 66 in JUN12. I am working, she has worked very little & does not even qualify for Medicare. We buy health insurance privately. My wife has an unpaid student loan. We spoke to a lawyer about 10 years ago and were told that I was not required to ever pay it back. We get bill collectors letters periodically on it. I file injured spouse every year on our joint income tax. When Bush gave everybody $600 back, we got $300 back. Now, the question is this: SS told my wife a couple of years ago that she could collect SS on my SS when she reaches 66, which is my full retirement age. Is this correct and if she applies and collects, will they take the payments back for the student loan? Please let me know.
Sandy
Expert:  John Legal replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer. I will answer as clearly as possible. I do ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.

SS was correct that you wife can start collecting on your record when she turns 66. Any payments that she gets from SS are exempt form creditors. They cannot garnish her Social Security payments. The only obligations that are not exempt are child support and unpaid taxes.

I am cannot provide you with specific legal advise. I can provide you with general information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you can find online, should not take the place of having a detailed consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

I hope you find my response helpful, please click on the ACCEPT button or the :) BUTTON. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work assisting you. Clicking either button WILL NOT close your question. You can still ask, and I will respond, to follow-up questions if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required but they are appreciated!

When you review my initial response, please remember that I cannot guess what information you already know. I am answering the question(s) posed by you based upon my reading of your post and sometimes I can misunderstand or misinterpret your question. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please rephrase your specific question.

Sometimes the law does not support what you would like it to support. It is my job to give you an understanding of the state of the law, not just tell you what you want to hear. I ask that you respect that fact that you received an accurate account of the law by clicking Accept and giving me positive feedback.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more between my responses to your follow up questions because I may be helping other customers or have stepped away.

Finally, I appreciate repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with “Dear XXXXX…”

John Legal, Attorney
Experience: Over 15 years legal experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My wife called Social Security to get an appointment to apply for benefit on my earnings. They told her she would not be eligible until I turn 66. Please check the first part of my question and your reponse and comment. Is SS trying to give us a runaround to avoid a claim that we are entitled to? Please advise.
Sorry, I flipped the two of you up. I did not realize that you where younger.

Your wife should be able to collect SS on her record if she has one. Once you turn 66 then you can start collecting on her record as well while your SS benefits continue to increase to the maximum amount then you can switch to your record.

Sorry for misreading your original statement of ages.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please re-read my original question. My wife has not worked enough to qualify for MEDICARE OR SS. They tell her that she cannot make claim on either of those and cannot make claim on MEDICARE or SS from her ex husband either since she is now married to me. It is sounding like she is not eligible for anything until I turn 66 years old. The common thinking that when you hit 65 MEDICARE kicks in does not seem to hold for a case like this. Is there anything at all that we can do? Please elaboratel.

Sandor

Unfortunately for her to be eligible for Social Security Retirement one of the following has to be true:

1. She has enough work history to qualify on her own;
  2. She is divorced, unmarried and her ex husband is either 66 or deceased; or
  3. Her current husband is over 66.

If she does not qualify for Social Security Retirement she could qualify for SSI (low income Social Security). However, SSI will take into account the household income. This will include your income. Therefore if you make more income than the poverty level she will not qualify for SSI at the moment.

Once you turn 66, she will qualify for Social Security Retirement under number 3 above. Wish I had better news.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can I conclude that MEDICARE for my wife is also out until I turn 65 since she has no work history? MEDICARE has told us that but I just want to be sure they are not trying to avoid paying out the benefit. Thanks.

Sandy

Here is the Government site for Medicare eligibility. The Government eligibility rules say your or your spouse has to have worked 10 years.

John Legal, Attorney