Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

a police officer was coming to my house while on duty for sexual

a police officer was coming to my house while on duty for sexual favors. I want to file a suit against the city. Do i have a case?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
You may have a case against the police officer, but as far as against the city, you would have to prove they knew or should have known of his conduct. However, they will argue that the officer was outside of the scope and performance of the duties with the department and as such they would not be liable since he was not in performance of his official police duties. If this sex was non-consensual and based on threats then it could be considered rape and you need to report this to the Internal Affairs Division.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer OR the HAPPY SMILEY FACE. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if he was on duty, in a patrol car and doing this shouldn't the city have a duty to protect the citizens from this type of behavior?
That does not mean they will be liable for his actions, if he was at a call to your residence and did this, they would be liable, but if he was going off outside of his normal duties they will have a strong case they are not liable and you would have the burden to prove they improperly supervised him and that they knew or should have known he had a history of this type of behavior. However, before you sue, you need to file a criminal complaint if this sex was not consensual, because if it was consensual you have no case against anyone.