Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

In what way can a non physician structure a business with a

In what way can a non physician structure a business with a medical director and actually own a medspa in Illinois? There are so many non physician owned medspas in Illinois so what is the structure that makes them compliant? I am aware of the fee splitting issue and I am told that the doc can hire my business as a management company but that doesn't make me the owner. Also, I am an esthetician who will be performing such treatments like laser hair removal deligated by the medical director.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
While there may be medical spas owned by non-physicians in Illinois, the Illinois law prohibits the non-physician ownership of such spas and they do shut them down as they find them. However, one structure that would require you to get a local attorney to set up with contracts is the concept where you would open a spa whereby you perform the care and non-medical treatments you are licensed to perform and you have a lease agreement and independent contractor agreement for the treatments that require a doctor to perform and the doctor pays rent and receives payment for the medical procedures he performs. This is a technical way to set up this type of business and will require you to have a local attorney set it up and draft the contractual agreements and this is referred to as a "Mall" type set up.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer OR the HAPPY SMILEY FACE. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As for now, I work as an employee for a doc doing laser treatments which is outside the realm of my esthetics license..making me an assistant to the doc if I am operating. Under the new arrangement, I want to work for myself, pay for the insurance that covers me under the medical director and that's all. Maybe accept a small rent from the doc when he uses my room to see his own patients. Are you saying that it is possible for me to perform treatments, being an "assistant" to the doc and have my own business if it is properly structured? Or does the doc have to have 100% ownership? What if the doc hires my business to manage (with no pay) and my business employs me to to the treatments?
Your idea is a possibility but you need to be careful since the state has been cracking down on these types of clinics and arrangements. It is possible for you to own a "medical mall" type business where you rent space to the doctor to perform any tasks that are considered medical treatments and this is a valid business set up. But owning the business and hiring a medical director really is not the proper way to do this.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law