John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.

can you please tell me what percent an attorney should recieve

Customer Question

can you please tell me what percent an attorney should recieve when settling a auto accident out of court
Expert:  John Legal replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer. I will answer as clearly as possible. I do ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.

There is not one set fee as it is a violation of antitrust law for attorneys to collude on fees.

With that said, the average fee for personal injury cases is between 25%-33% plus all costs and expenses. There are cases where the fee agreement states that the percentage is lower if the case settles.

I am cannot provide you with specific legal advise. I can provide you with general information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you can find online, should not take the place of having a detailed consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

I hope you find my response helpful, please click on the ACCEPT button or the :) BUTTON. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work assisting you. Clicking either button WILL NOT close your question. You can still ask, and I will respond, to follow-up questions if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required but they are appreciated!

When you review my initial response, please remember that I cannot guess what information you already know. I am answering the question(s) posed by you based upon my reading of your post and sometimes I can misunderstand or misinterpret your question. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please rephrase your specific question.

Sometimes the law does not support what you would like it to support. It is my job to give you an understanding of the state of the law, not just tell you what you want to hear. I ask that you respect that fact that you received an accurate account of the law by clicking Accept and giving me positive feedback.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more between my responses to your follow up questions because I may be helping other customers or have stepped away.

Finally, I appreciate repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with “Dear John…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I want to know what is the percent a lawyer can charge for settling an auto accident case outside of court.
I just told you. There is no set minimum or maximum. Generally the State bars have said that 25% - 33% is reasonable for an auto accident case. This is for trial or settlement.