N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983
9653905

I have a Rossi circuit judge for home defense only. This is

I have a Rossi circuit judge for home defense only. This is the "long gun" with full stock and long barrel. Since this will ONLY be used in the home for home defense I would like to remove the rear full stock and replace it with a hand grip for the "JUDGE" pistol. Would this be legal to have for this purpose. I live in the county (country) in NC.
I need a little more information to find the answer.

Will the total length of the weapon be less than 26 inches if you switch out the stock for a pistol grip?

Is this is a shotgun?

What is the length of the barrel?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the total length with a rubber type grip from one supplier is 25.5", another supplier has nicer solid wood grip extends the length to just over 26".

This is a unique shotgun, a 5 shot revolver chambered to fire both 410 ga. shotgun shells and/or 45 colt rounds. This long gun was built based on a pistol that fires the same ammo and has differing barrel lengths. they called the pistol the "JUDGE". This is called the "CIRCUIT JUDGE" and has a barrel length of 18.5", originally coming with a full wooden rifle style stock
790.001 Definitions.—As used in this chapter, except where the context otherwise requires:
///
(10) “Short-barreled shotgun” means a shotgun having one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length and any weapon made from a shotgun (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.
(11) “Short-barreled rifle” means a rifle having one or more barrels less than 16 inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.
From
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.001.html

My opinion is that it is still a legal weapon as long as it is 26 inches or longer.

I hope this information is helpful.
Thank you for accepting my answer, and thank you very much for the bonus!