JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.

I leasted a rental space at a RV storage for 18 months to save

I leasted a rental space at a RV storage for 18 months to save a few bucks. Three business days later I canceled my contract. Now the storage is sueing me for the 18 months of pay. Is it true in the state of Ca. that I have so many days to cancel with out any pentaly?
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

This link provides a listing of all the types of contract in California that can be cancelled shortly after being signed:

The transaction you've described is not included on the list.

Now, however, you should be be responsible for 18 months of payments if the landowner can find someone else to lease the property beforehand. It's called mitigation of damages.

I know that this is not what you wanted to hear but you deserve a candid answer. I wish very much that I could offer you an answer that was more favorable to your circumstances, but the law seems to be pretty clear. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

I hope you understand.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied and select the Happy Smiley Face. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you have other questions on different matters, you can ask me at Or there are also other Experts ready to assist you in a range of Legal specialties, Veterinary, Cars and others – you can reach them via the homepage.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I saw that list already when I googled it. what can my defence be. Can I use a recent case or trail in the past.
Thank you for the follow-up.
As you know because of the list, there is no defense. This means that you are responsible for the contract you signed.
You can be held to the terms of that contract until the landowner finds someone else to rent the spot. I hope this helps to clarify things.