Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

My husband has dementia how do I get power of attorney for

My husband has dementia how do I get power of attorney for him where he is unable to understand or sign any documents?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to JA! I will do my best to help you. Please be aware, however, that I am only able to provide information and cannot offer specific advice!

Good morning. Once someone no longer has the mental capacity to make decisions on his own, that person can no longer legally give someone a durable power of attorney. Rather, at that stage, someone must file a petition in family court to have the person declared incompetent and be appointed that person's guardian...which not only gives the guardian authority to act on the person's behalf but eliminates the ability of the incompetent person to make decisions on their own.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. If the information seems more general than specific, please be aware that we are only allowed to provide information and not specific advice.

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.