Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
18539850

disposed civil case status. does this mean the case is closed.

Customer Question

disposed civil case status. does this mean the case is closed. and the judgement needs to be removed/ vacated?
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.

Yes, when a case is marked as "disposed", this means that it is closed out. Having said that, it does not provide any information on whether there is a judgment in place or whether that judgment should be set aside. For example, if the defendant prevailed at trial, the case would be disposed but there would be no judgment in place.

Please let me know if anything requires clarification.

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

im confused sorry. and if case status states "active" ?

how do i know if there is a judgement?

Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.

I don't know why we switched from "disposed" to "active". However, if a case is still "active", then there likely is not a judgment as "active" generally refers to ongoing litigation. Meaning there could not yet be a judgment. The exception would be where there was post-judgment litigation such as an appeal.