J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and small business owner with 10 years experience in the general practice of law.
15393114

What is the botXXXXX XXXXXne law in Texas concerning age of consent?

What is the botXXXXX XXXXXne law in Texas concerning age of consent? Is it 17 period or is it a 17 yr old can date someone within 3 years or what? I can't seem to find a clear answer on this one.

J.Hazelbaker :

Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

J.Hazelbaker :

The age of consent in Texas is 17.

J.Hazelbaker :

While there is a statutory defense to a charge, if the partner is within three years of the minor, that is just a defense. It would not preclude a charge being filed against the older party.

J.Hazelbaker :

Please let me know what follow-up questions you have. If my above responses have been helpful, please click Accept so that I get credit for the time/effort. You may always restart the thread and ask follow-up questions at any time by clicking the “Reply” button at the bottom of the question/answer thread. You can access this thread later in your profile under the “My Questions” tab.

Customer:

What would the situation be if on an online dating site someone represented themselves to be 19 yrs old to a 26 yr old only to find out later that the "19" yr old was 17?

J.Hazelbaker :

Since 17 is the age of consent, it would not matter. 17 is the legal age. If the party were under 17, then there would be an issue.

Customer:

ok excellent thanks for the piece of mind I was scared to death I had done something really wrong!