Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.

My fiance (male) and I were both just let go from the same

Customer Question

My fiance (male) and I were both just let go from the same company. We were allegedly laid off because of a downturn in business. Before I started dating him over two years ago, my fiance had a sexual relationship with a woman who became the President and COO of the company that just let us both go. My fiance and this woman were coworkers at the time of their relationship. I have felt discriminated against by her since I first began dating my fiance. Others with similar roles but lesser competency than me were not let go. My fiance was a highly placed executive and he advises me to ignore it. Do I have a case for sexual harassment?
Expert:  Loren replied 4 years ago.
It is possible that you may bot have a claim.
Sexual harassment occurs when unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature unreasonably interferes with an employee's work performance or creates an intimidating work environment, regardless of whether the conduct is directly tied to a job benefit or detriment. In order to establish a prima facie case, an employee must prove:
1) That she belongs to a protected group;2) That she was the subject of unwelcome sexual harassment;3) That the harassment was based on sex;4) That the harassment was sufficiently pervasive to effect a term, condition, or privilege of employment; and 5)) That the employer knew, or should have known, about the harassment and failed to take prompt, corrective action.

You can start by filing a complaint online with the EEOC at