Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Ed. Code 44955 Riverside office of Education was sanctioned

Ed. Code 44955
Riverside office of Education was sanctioned by the Office of Civil rights in 1999, according to that sanction the county has deemed it a need for everyone to have a Special Ed credential. Four years ago the County started to pink slip their employees that didn’t have a Sp. Ed. Credential, stating as a need that supersedes seniority. Everyone that was pinked and joined a Special Ed program was rehired. I am one of the last 6 teachers who were pink slipped this year. The county does not have a need to pink slip. They say a reduction of programs, my program is the pregnant minor program, if that was true they would have to reduce the nursery staff, and no one received a notice. Also, they are already counting the two teachers that were pinked in next year % of Special Ed credential. I f they really thought they needed a reduction how come they are already counted in the % for Special Ed credential. I have a document used for the county WASC accreditation stating: how they have expanded the last two years: they plan on expanding next school year: they are running in the black; the Special Ed. teachers are at 85% and by next year will be at 100% due to the fact the last two teachers signed up for classes. The county does not have a need to pink slip, they have found a way to force everyone into getting a Special Ed. Certificate is this legal?
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still waiting for a reply.
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes, finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Whether or not it is legal depends on the proof the employer can provide to the union with regards XXXXX XXXXX need being legitimate. Thus, it may be proper for them to terminate more employees if they can prove the need they have claimed above. However, absent proving their need, then it would be likely contrary to the union contract and the union would be able to stop the terminations (realize that without a union contract, the school could fire you for no reason at all and you would have no recourse, so to have recourse the termination has to be a violation of a provision of the contract).

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT and/or the HAPPY SMILEY FACE button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law